This event sponsored by Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP.
Working together toward shared goals. Flexibility, practical business sense, and tireless advocacy are among Nelson Mullins’ service hallmarks.
4 to 5 pm
Followed by refreshments
Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP
1320 Main St.
Columbia, SC 29201
Limited seating available on first-come, first-served basis
The Innovation Economy in 2020:
Opportunities and Challenges
CLE/CPE (1 hour)
Subject matter experts will discuss the status of South Carolina innovation economy in 2020 from three perspectives: (1) The Executive Director of an entity that invests in tech start-ups; (2) Advisors to both start-ups and investors; and (3)The CEO of a start-up tech company. The Executive Director of an entity that provides funding to such enterprises will discuss key insights on the impact of these investments and the primary source of its funding capacity. A partner of a prominent law firm in South Carolina will cover the topic of sources of capital for start-ups and related considerations, followed by a panel discussion involving the two speakers together with the partner of a well-respected CPA firm and the CEO of a start-up tech firm based in Columbia that addresses questions pertinent to innovation start-ups.
- Understanding the innovation economy eco-system
- Grasping of the sources of capital for start-ups and related considerations
- Recognizing important accounting considerations for start-ups
- Awareness of opportunities in South Carolina to fuel the innovation economy
- Opening: John Sircy, Director of Finance and Administration, South Carolina Research Authority
- Innovation Economy Impact: Bob Quinn, Executive Director, South Carolina Research Authority (15 minutes)
- Capital: Sources & Considerations, Mason Hogue, Partner, Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP (15 minutes)
- Panel Discussion: Innovation Economy Opportunities & Challenges (30 minutes)
— Henry Moore, CEO, REsimplifi, Inc.
— Tom Pietras, CPA, Partner, Bauknight, Pietras & Stormer
— Bob Quinn, Executive Director, South Carolina Research Authority
— Mason Hogue, Partner, Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP
Innovation Economy Impact, Bob Quinn
- Role of SCRA
- Industry Partnership Fund (IPF)
- Key Metrics on SCRA’s Economic Impact on SC
- Success Story
- Benefits of Contributing to the IPF
Capital: Sources & Considerations, Mason Hogue
- Securities Laws
- Type/Structures of Funding
- Capital Sources
Panel Discussion: Henry Moore, Tom Pietras, Bob Quinn, Mason Hogue
- Lessons learned
- State of the innovation eco-system in the Midlands
- Best practices – legal, accounting
- Start-up CEO experiences