Fueling South Carolina’s innovation economy
- SCRA is a public, nonprofit corporation, chartered by the South Carolina legislature, in 1983.
- SCRA is made up of four programs: SC Academic Innovations, SC Facilities, SC Industry Solutions, and SC Launch.
- SCRA has an investment affiliate, SC Launch Inc., for Member Companies that are on a strong growth track and complete the due diligence process.
- SCRA Member Companies that receive an investment are called SC Launch Inc. Portfolio Companies.
- SCRA coaches, provides grant funding and industry matchmaking, and houses Member Companies (technology startups), and academic-based technology projects.
- SCRA contributed over a billion dollars to South Carolina’s economy in 2021.
- SCRA’s programs and operations supported 5,429 South Carolina-based jobs in 2021.
- SCRA awarded $4.6 million in grants to advance research capabilities, commercialize technology, expand product offerings, and assist with relocation costs for businesses moving their operations to South Carolina.
- SCRA helped SCRA Member Companies secure more than $2.2 billion in follow-on funding in 2021.
Chartered in 1983 by the State of South Carolina as a public, nonprofit corporation, South Carolina Research Authority (SCRA) fuels South Carolina’s innovation economy through the impact of its four programs. SC Academic Innovations provides funding and support to advance translational research and accelerate the growth of university-based startups. SC Facilities offers high-quality laboratory and administrative workspaces for technology-based startups and academic institutions. SC Industry Solutions facilitates and funds partnerships between and among startups, industry, and academia. SC Launch mentors and funds technology-based startups that may also receive investments from SCRA’s investment affiliate, SC Launch, Inc.
Established in 2006, SC Launch, Inc. is an independent, nonprofit corporation affiliated with SCRA, which provides loans and investments to selected South Carolina-based companies participating in the SC Launch program.