Criteria and Eligibility
SCRA Member Companies are considered for SC Launch Inc. investments upon recommendation from their investment manager and under the direction of the SC Launch Inc. executive director.
If you are interested in seeking an investment from SC Launch Inc., please carefully review our investment criteria and pitching process.
Typically, prior to an SC Launch Inc. investment, principals in the business and their family and friends have already invested. SC Launch Inc.’s focus is on the first, second, and/or third rounds of seed-stage capital in the form of convertible loans or equity investments.
Later-stage investments are also considered, such as Series A & B rounds. Financing amounts are typically up to $200,000 or more per round and may include matching requirements.
Companies receiving an investment typically exhibit the following characteristics:
- The company’s principal office must be located in South Carolina or 51% of payroll to employees must be within the state (requirement).
- Large, rapidly expanding market.
- Innovative technology that can be commercialized.
- Durable intellectual property protection (patents, trademarks, trade secret(s) and copyrights).
- Persuasive strategy that has a strong, sustainable competitive advantage.
- Viable business plan with compelling but realistic growth.
- Experienced team members on board with at least one member of management working full-time and a board of advisors in place.
- High potential to attract follow-on funding.
- Reasonable valuation and potential for significant financial return.
- Reasonable potential for Innovation Economy job creation.
The due diligence process begins upon execution of the letter of intent and term sheet. Due diligence will include competitive analysis, technology development plan, regulatory considerations, review of intellectual property, hiring plan, corporate structure, finance, details of concurrent investment(s) underway, and marketing strategy.
SC Launch Inc. provides ongoing support after funding of an initial investment. Your investment manager can provide guidance to develop an investor strategy near term and discuss your potential for long-term funding towards a Series A or Series B round.